Monday, July 15, 2013

the New Amsterdam Metro Plan

A few weeks back I blogged about the new Amsterdam metro. My colleague who travels the same route every day pointed something out to me.


First some back story.

Ever since I started working where I work now, there were four metro lines, the 50, 51, 53 and 54. From Central Station, from now on called CS, three lines leave to different destinations. 51 goes to Amstelveen, 53 to Gaasperplas, where I live and 54 to Gein, where I don’t live. The 50 traveled between Gein and Isolatorweg. One stop before Isolatorweg I have to get off. It also meant, if I had to travel to work I’d get on at Gaasperplas in the 53, then change metro and take the 50 towards Isolatorweg to continue my travel. Only one change which especially in winter could cause some irritation.

A few weeks back the new summer metro regulation started. Suddenly, the 50 runs from Gaasperplas to Isolatorweg and back. This means I don’t have to change metro anymore.



Now back to the now and the subject at hand. As you could have read on my blog, but probably didn’t, a new model metro is being introduced to the Amsterdam metro network. A lovely, overlong metro in which you can walk from back to fronts and back to the uh…back without leaving the thing. That’s not important, but a nice addition to this little post.

What my colleague pointed out was, looking at the metro network as showed in the metro, it looked like the 53 is not going to return to Gaasperplas, but the 50 shall remain running between Gaasperplas and Isolatorweg, which means I will never have to wait on a cold Van der Madeweg again. Huray!

The metro lines as outlined according to the new metro:
50. Running between Gaasperplas and Isolatorweg.
51. Running between Spaklerweg and Westwijk (in Amstelveen).
54. Running between Central Station and Gein.

1 comment:

Owen said...

Well I hope it goes back to the normal plan, with a direct metro between Gaasperplas and CS. I'm sure people in Amstelveen want a line running to CS too.

There have already been two changes of service this summer and they have been good about updating all the maps to reflect the actual status, not just leaving the old maps and information up. So hopefully they will return to normal service and put a new sticker up.