Friday, July 26, 2013

Culture

It’s strange how quick the cold from spring is forgotten. I haven’t. I’m still happy with the warmth, even though it completely paralyses you. I’m happy with the light, though the days are already shortening again.

 
 It’s strange how quickly we got used to all the mobile/cell phones. It’s normal these days to see half of the heads turned down while fingers speed over buttons. It’s also normal that we have loud phone coversations on public transport and that we ignore the annoyed faces.
 
Yesterday we were talking about how people back in the 70’s, if you told them about the technology and the ability of technology of the 21th century, you would blow their minds. How would they react? My mum once told me about her grandmother. The train was becoming more and more used and my mum’s grandmother said: “My god, one day they’ll fly through the air.”
 
Even I remember the rise of the Internet. I remember being in highschool and peeking at the five PC’s with Internet connection. It was a big deal. That was back in the mid 90’s. I really submerged myself in the Internet when I started studying. Never left ever since.
 
Another change are the many interests I indulge myself in. I’m now adding interests in other people than artists. That leads to more interest in history, sociology and a little bit in politics. I’m also getting more into painting, as in watching paintings or photography. Yes, culture is still my main interest. Not only does that speak from my interest in music, nearly all kinds, or films, paintings and photograpy, but also from my interest in sociology in combination with politics. In all these forms we put our identity. All these forms look different in different days and ages. For me it’s trying to understand why people live the way they live and the reasons they say or do things. Soon you’ll find it’s not humanity that really changed, it was time moving on.

 Things to do:
  • Visit an exhibition of reproductions of van Gogh work to see what his paintings must have looked like back when they were just painted and not weathered by time.
  • Visit one of the royal Dutch palaces.
  • Visit more Dutch cities, take city tours and learn more about the history.
  • Study sociology a bit more.
  • After I’ve done all that, look forward too.
 
Often I search google images to colour up my posts. When you google ‘culture’ you’ll find the images in this blog. I specifically like this one:

No comments: