Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Doctor Who - 50th Anniversary Special

As you all may know, it’s 2013.


This year is the 50th birthday of the series ‘Doctor Who’. In honour of that impressive birthday all kind of projects are undertaken. I must admit, I’m hardly up to date. I do know Moffat and team have been working on an 50th anniversary special and David Tennant and Billie Piper will return in their respective roles as the Doctor and Rose. John Hurt, not a Doctor Who alumni, will also be in the special and is the Dark Doctor, or something.

The reason I know so little is, beside being distracted by Dutch royals and Star Trek, I’m trying to remain as spoiler free as possible. But I am an impatient fan. So from time to time I fall for temptation and search for news. The latest rumour is that Paul McGann is involved as well and it has something to do with the Last Time War.

Not one of the Doctor's incarnations
This post is not about those rumours. This post is about my wishes.

The Doctors
First I’d like to discuss the Doctor and his many incarnations. Just like many fans I would love to see all Doctors together interacting. That poses a few problems:
1. Some of the actors who played the Doctor are no longer with us;
2. Some of the actors who played the Doctor are still with us, but don’t look like themselves anymore;
3. Too many Doctors in one story could be a problem for that story.

I’m sure if I put my mind to it I could come up with more problems.

A solution could be a recast of those who are dead and those who changed too much. I’m against. It seems disrespectful in every way and the Doctors would not be the incarnations as we know them. That would be only distracting and I love the different incarnations the way they developed. Those actors and their performances have given their incarnations a certain ID and taking away from it seems wrong. It’s supposed to be a tribute, isn’t it? Why tribute something that never was and probably never even will be after the special. Sounds like a massive ID crisis for the Doctor.

The Companions
I’ve never really thought about who I’d like to return. Quite honestly, I could do without any of the old companions. Let Clara be the companion, that’s enough.

On the other hand, I’d love to see some companions interact, like Jamie and Leela. Any situation in which an enemy is aproaching would become instantly interestingly violent. I would love to see the Doctor try and stop them attacking.
Or to see Rose and Amy interact. They would tear each other’s hair out, wouldn’t they?

Not one of the Doctor's companions
I did once make up a conversation between Captain Jack (the guy who can’t die) and Rory (the guy who comes back to life every time). Of course I can’t remember it now. It went something like this:
Rory: I was in New York with my wife. I died and now I’m here.
Jack: You came back to life?
Rory: Yeah, and it’s not even the first time.
Jack: *extending hand* Jack Harkness *looking Rory up and down* Yeah, I know that feeling. It doesn’t affect you much.
Rory: *confused/embarressed/scared* What…?

Hmmm, it would be nice to have Captain Jack back; I’m curious of how he would interact with Matt’s Doctor. And of course I miss Rory.

Events
What I’m not sure of is, the story being about the Time War. I like the legend. I like the mystery around the Time War. I’m afraid that if we get to see something about the Time War, it’ll be disappointing and relieving some of the mystery.

That brings me to Paul McGann who played the 8th incarnation of the Doctor. It is suggested we’re going to see the regeneration. I have no clue of what the 8th Doctor is doing in this special. And that brings me to John Hurt. Some suggest John Hurt will be the Doctor inbetween the 8th and 9th incarnation. It could be so; he was wearing 9’s leather jacket.
Of course there will be focused on the question ‘Doctor Who’ and I’m sure John Hurt has a big part in that story. He is the same man as the Doctor, but did something not in the name of the Doctor. I’m sure the special will make everything clear, but right now, I have no idea how to take this.

Conclusion
I have not been thinking too much about it, cause it makes me even more impatient. I’m sure it’s going to be fantastic.

I hope. Moffat is good in screwing specials up, like 2011’s Christmas special.

Not even Star Trek's Data (but the man who plays...)
Favourite non-DW quote comes from Data and O’Brien had no clue what Data wanted to know, but me, with my Wikipedia and Monty Python knowledge knew immediately what Data wanted to know. But I couldn’t have said it better:

“I’m curious; what’s the etymology of that idiom?

No comments: