Monday, July 29, 2013

the Next Generation (Interest)

For about a year I managed to go to bed early-ish during work weeks. For nearly six months I managed to get up early-ish to go to work. For nearly a year, applying this routine, had me fairly fresh at work.


Something changed. I’m knackered.

Last Friday I posted a picture of Lt. Commander Data from Star Trek. That was pretty much the announcement of a Star Trek period in my stream of interest. Yes, I’ve been watching Star Trek till late in the night, or rather, early in the morning. It completely threw my routine.

What is it about this clip that fascinates me?

Brent Spiner Performing Shakespeare's 'Merchant of Venice'


Is it his loose performance? Is it Shakespeare? Is it his boyish grin throughout the performance? Or is it Data doing Shakespeare in a very un-Data way? I don’t know. In the end, I keep watching that.

You know how that happened? The link wasn’t even Doctor Who. I was watching something on YouTube, might have been “de koningsvaart” on 30 April. It might also have been the film “First Contact” which was on TV not too long ago. It might have been me being bored with watching the same two series over and over again.

I’m not quite done with Alexander yet, but there’s only so much to find and read about him. I’m not quite ready for Star Trek yet; it’s distracting. I have, however, made plans; start with Next Generation and go from there. See how long this lasts.


I don’t want to really talk about it, because I feel there’s not much to say. I can tell you this: Back in the 90’s I watched because I liked Riker. Then when I wasn’t really watching or thinking about Star Trek, for some reason it was Captain Picard who popped in my head occasionally. Now since I’m revisiting the series it’s Data I like best. Overall, the relations between characters are interesting.

I know nothing about the overall story. Back then I watched whatever was on missing most episodes. There were no links, no clues and I had no idea.

I only vaguely knew of other series than “the Nex Generation”. When I think about that, trying to recall it is like trying to lift a mist that’s hanging over something I know. Same with Doctor Who. I always knew there were different Doctors, but I can’t recall when I found out or how. Same with the existence of different Star Trek series; I knew about them, but I can’t remember since when I knew and how I found out.

Looming presence in the background of my memories.

No comments: