Monday, July 15, 2013

Book Review - Ook Dit Gaat Voorbij

The book “Ook dit gaat voorbij” (Translation: “This Will Pass Too”) tells about the alleged teenage love between prince Alexander and Jettie, the daughter of a baron. In the summer of 1863 (when Alexander was 14) the family Schimmelpenninck have the young prince as a guest. Jettie, who is one year older than the prince, lives in the house Nijenhuis in Diepenheim with her family. Jettie and the prince get quite close, so close even, when the prince has grown up he returns to Jettie’s parents to ask for her hand. Of course that marriage never happens.


The book starts out with listing all the main characters. The old duke, Jettie’s grandfather, died in 1863. According to the book it was in the summer Alexander was with the family. Also according to the book, the prince was 14 years old. Me knowing the prince was born in 1851 and me being able to do a quick sum, made me come to the conclusion that or the named year is wrong or the named age of the prince is wrong. The prince couldn’t have been 14 in 1863, more like 11 going on 12. It is sort of important, because Jettie is one year older, 12 or 13. At that age, playing with dolls, maybe just. However at age 15 I would say she was too old, but she did, and it offended the prince somewhat. After he left the house he supposedely said he wanted to make Jettie grown up and not talk to dolls anymore.

Anyway, this is a very convoluted way of saying that the book came across to me as a very 60’s book. My mum, who doesn’t read books, has quite a few of these kind of books. It has the same sweet language, the same sweet structure of story telling and characters. In my opinion, the story is not told very well. A good story introduces the characters within the story. It also has one passage that seems to have nothing to do with the story, except that it apparently happened to prince Alexander. Maybe I missed something.

I will hold this book dear for a few passages. For instance when prince Alexander and Jettie go out riding the prince constantly keeps talking to the horse warning it for holes in the road and too deep mud tracks. Not only that, he also points out very big trees and other tourist attractions to the horse. The horse nods sideways letting him know he heard and understood.

I will also hold it dear for what to me looks like a very truthful, yet confronting, characterisation of the prince. He’s as sweet and brilliant as is always described. He’s also in such way socially awkward it makes me cringe sometimes. And he’s stubborn, and puts his opinions forward no matter what others say. That reminds me of what minister Weitzel once wrote in his diary: “The prince seems susceptible for a change of conviction, though his actions don’t always proof that.” Yeah, even I noticed that. Even in the book that comes across.

What I don’t like about the book is the alleged teenage love between the prince and Jettie. In most reviews I read it was noted the story was based on very thin evidence. So thin, only this book tells about it. Maybe it’s greed from my side; I want him for myself. Or maybe my dislike is based on something reasonable. I can see they liked each other. I don’t know what it was though. Could you call that a teenage love affair?

Another problem with the book is Jettie. Jettie is a sweet girl. Jettie behaves like a six year old while she’s supposed to be fifteen. Jettie’s character is described through the eyes of her grandfather who adores her, more than his other grandchildren. Jettie’s character is so minimal, in the end, I know nothing about her. Maybe I should read the book propperly.

I haven’t read this back before posting, but I’m quite sure this is more a ramble about a book than a proper review.

No comments: