Tuesday, June 12, 2012

DW's 50 the Anniversary vs Multi-Doctors

Of course I thought about it too, a multi-doctor story for the 50th anniversary. Having thought about it and having heard opinions (from fans, show runners and ex-doctors alike) about it, I’m not so sure I want one. I will try and explain why. Let’s start with the easy one; Christopher Eccleston. He said on numerous occasions he didn’t want to return to the role, something about not wanting to bathe in the same river twice. Quite frankly, if he doesn’t really want to do it, I don’t want him to. I rather have an actor wanting to come back and enjoying it. Then the Doctors who don’t look like their younger selves anymore. I don’t feel a need to see them return (as the Doctor) either, because well, they don’t look like themselves anymore. I remember watching ‘Dimensions in Time’ (as if that been so long ago) from the 30th anniversary special. Tom Baker with very short grey hair hidden in his floppy hat was right on the edge. I couldn’t help feeling awkward. Now, Colin Baker has obviously aged. I saw a few YouTube video’s of him in his old gear while he already looked like he does presently. I once again felt awkward and wanted him to take off the coat. Peter Davison looks sort of like he used to, but also he has aged quite a bit. Mainly his voice has changed which always confuses me when listening Bigfinish adventures with him in it. Also, awkward. Then what story do you want to tell? How are you going to give every Doctor a fair crack of the whip? It’s hard to give every character something useful to do; even now Rory just hangs on by a threat, because he’s only Amy Pond’s husband. Also all of the multi-Doctor stories have proved to be only average or less. The only person I would really love to see return on our screens as the Doctor is Paul McGann, because he didn’t get a fair chance; we saw not even near to quite enough of his Doctor on screen. And he still looks and sounds like he did when he protrayed the Doctor. Still, seeing the 5 ‘Classic’ Doctors on stage together I find very exciting….and a little bit awkward. Sorry for the block of text; didn't feel to adjust it.

No comments: