Thursday, July 18, 2013

To Be Gay or Not To Be Gay - That's Not the Question

Here’s another of allergies.


Yesterday I was watching some Ellen’s. You know, the talkshow of Ellen Degeneres. There was this musician woman not only plugging her album, but also talking about her coming out. That was all interesting, sad and marvelous. However, I noticed one that annoyed me; people pro gay making a point of being gay. In my opinion that is not what the point should be. What the point should be is that they are, in many cases, treated differently compared to straight people. They’re treated like a circus act, or an anomoly. That is what’s wrong about the whole gay question, not if someone is gay or not.

Let’s take Ellen. It is wonderful what she’s done; it took courage and she came out glorious. I do appreciate her for that. That’s not the main reason I watch Ellen though. I watch Ellen, because I think she’s funny. I watch Ellen, because she has interesting guests. I watch Ellen, because she seems nice and skillful in her job. I don’t watch Ellen, because she’s gay. Frankly, I don’t care she’s gay. To me, it’s totally not interesting what sexual preference she has.

Ellen (left) and her wife Portia. BTW, Portia is shorter than
Ellen, she's just wearing high heels.

This brings me to another point. No matter where you go, beit online or in real life, people always seem to land on the question: “Is he/she gay?” I don’t understand that. Why is that always the most interesting question? If you want to date someone, sure, I can see why you would want to know. However, in a lot of cases, they just ask to know, not for practical reasons. Why?

Often I remarked I wasn’t interested, because I don’t care. Usually, I get the answer: “Neither do I.” Then why are you asking? The question even never surfaces in my head, only if I’m thinking of asking someone out.

The fact that seems to be the basic question points out we’re not ready for the lifestyle with gays. That’s not the gays’ fault, it’s just a fact. As long knowing if someone is gay is the most interesting thing, we keep treating them differently. I think the whole point is, they are like us, human. So can we just please stop asking and start treating them as such, as people. Thank you.

For your information: Yes, I have wondered if someone was gay. It concerned a girl I really liked. I never asked her out, because 1) I was too cowardly and 2) she turned out to have a boyfriend. Doesn’t matter, I have a boyfriend now.

No comments: