Tuesday, June 4, 2013

the Doctor Has Resigned

Old news by now, but Matt Smith is leaving the TARDIS in this year's Christmas special.

So who will be the next Doctor? Several old discussions have started again. Should the next Doctor be female? Should the next Doctor be even younger than Matt Smith?

It seems to me the departure and arrival of Doctors is more exciting than the actual story telling. Not only do we get a new regeneration, probably a new style and new story lines, but this point within the series is where we, the fans and everybody else, really interact with the universe of the Doctor, by planting a new actor in the lead role.

I'm sad to see Matt leave. If I should apoint the title "My Doctor" to a Doctor, it would probably be the eleventh. The reason is that with Matt I really started to watch and submerge myself in the Who-niverse. Of course, Matt is a fantastic Doctor, a brilliant Doctor even. However, he's not my favourite, as I probably have said about a million times before. His energy doesn't quite match mine.


Since I'm blabbering about Doctor Who, I would also like to point out that one wish I had is granted: The eleventh meets and interacts with the tenth. Finding out they get along well was no surprise to me. I always felt those last two Doctors have pretty much the same energy. Trying to work out how their interaction would go always amused me. Obviously, now I'm looking forward to the Anniversary special even more.

One thing though, how is this more Doctor Who than ever? We will only have half a series and two specials this year. That's only ten episodes, three less than when a complete series runs in one year. I'm a bit miffed about that.

However, we are going to get a Gatiss docu-drama about the shows history. I'm really looking forward to that too. Apparently, the casting is superb. I know the history, but it's more interesting than the usual documentaries with the same ol' talking heads.

So, those thoughts about Doctor Who have been floating around in my head for a few months now. You're probably totally not interested, but there it is anyway.

If you like to join in, in discussing Matt's leave. There are several forums for that. Here are two:
Digitalspy forum                 Doctor Who Forum: Gallifrey Base

No comments: