Thursday, June 27, 2013

Character Study of William III Postponed

Today I planned to post my character study of King William III of the Netherlands. I did start writing the post, but quickly realized I couldn’t really write the piece. I didn’t know what he was like as a child. Nor do I have “insider” experience at my hands. I have some “insider” information in the form of letters, diary entries and other accounts, but nothing substantial. In other words, if I have to write a character study now, it’s even more guessing than with his wife and sons. I feel he at least deserves a fair study, no matter how badly behaved he was.


In the report of “Brandpunt” it was mentioned his biography is being written as we speak. I’m not sure I’m going to arrive at a very different opinion on this King, even his biographer has trouble lifting out the positive sides to this King. I hope the biographer will search for the reasons why this King was so badly behaved. I’m sure it’s not just his character. In Queen Sophie’s biography the King’s aunt, princess Marianne, claims he’s got a good heart. Though she also admits he’s not easy, but neither was the Queen.

An interesting question remains: How come the King became much more behaved and even peaceful after marrying Emma and having Wilhelmina? It might have been age, it might have been Emma’s positive influence on the King. I hope the biographer will pay attention to this question.

I won’t park my analysis about the influence both King William III and Queen Sophie had on their sons. That’s for tomorrow, probably. That analysis might change over time, after I’ve read King William III’s biography. We’ll see.

No comments: