Monday, August 5, 2013

The Doctor Is Dead! Long Live the Doctor!

It was an unexpected exciting evening. My returning home (nearly) conincided with the announcement of the new Doctor. Peter Capaldi is the Doctor!


I’m impressed with the speed the announcement appeared on Youtube.

Of course this announcement sparked new old discussions, like the actor’s age and what kind of performance to expect. There’s one big difference in reaction to the announcement; the reaction is mainly positive. When Matt Smith was announced back in 2009 a lot of people found him too young. Also because Matt was not very well known people weren’t sure about his abilities or what to expect at all. Matt convinced most within one episode. Now it’s Peter Capaldi’s turn (nearly).


There are a few differences in the situation. Capaldi not only has to go in the footsteps of two great former Doctors, but three. Then there is his own reputation; people have high expectations of him. So there are two hurdles to take. It’ll make mind blowing harder. However I know he’s up for the job.

A new Doctor is always exciting. What’s the new Doctor going to look like? What will he wear? How will he act? How will his relations be to companions? Not only are the differences and hurdles many, but so are the possibilities.

According to some people his age might be a problem. In my opinion saying Peter Capaldi might alienate younger viewers because he’s too old is like saying children can’t like their grandparents as much, because they’re too old. Children are usually much more adaptable than grownups. If Capaldi plays it right, he will attract the children, like William Hartnell did back in the days. And it’s not necessarily a problem if children are a bit scared of the Doctor; it has happened before with William Hartnell. In the end he was really very popular with the youth.

As for all the potential running he might have to do. On Digital Spy I read he was very fit; he runs marathons. He looks fit and even if the running is toned down, I’m not bothered at all, maybe even a little relieved. I was never a big fan of all the (corridor) running. To me it always feels a little like padding and taking away from the story. Neither do I believe all the running is necessary to make the show a succes. I don’t think times have changed so much that children can’t enjoy a good story anymore and need all that running. I’m not worried about Peter’s age.

The age issue can however bring us to the following question: “Will there be a male companion for all the running and action?”
With Capaldi’s good shape I don’t see the need. Also, Clara, who will stay on, can do a lot of running. Other than that, Capaldi is able enough to do much of the actions. So no need for a male action companion.

Another companions question was: “Will the companions be older now?”
Why would they? Occassionally, sure I can see that. In this case I am pro variation. I do understand the awkwardness about him asking an eleven year old girl onboard. I thought that was already dubious when Matt’s Doctor did that. But I believe in the Doctor’s good intentions. 

The eleven known faces of the Doctor
 In light of the upcoming (storm) new Doctor automatically this question rises: “How will he play the Doctor?”
It’s a question I don’t want to talk about too much. I don’t want to spoil things by having expectations and then getting disappointed when he does it completely different. And I like the surprise too much.

Who’s a good Doctor, though?

Tom Baker once said it’s not really an acting job. Read this article: "The Right Man for the Twelfth Doctor Who" in which his words are challenged.

I think I understand what TB meant with that. He also added he was himself; he turned Tom Baker into the Doctor. In other words, they became one. I still think that’s true. Yes, I agree what the author said is true; you have to have the ability to play opposites in one character. However, looking back at all the Doctors, they all put something of themselves into the Doctor which made their Doctor unique. They all eleven did it without taking away from who we recognize as the Doctor. He was in every incarnation completely differently the same. My favourite self made up companion quote remains: “For someone who changes so many times, you have changed so little”.

Some of the previous actors are mentioned in the article. About Jon Pertwee I do want to post this: When Jon Pertwee was asked for the role he asked how they wanted him to play the Doctor. Eventually he choose to play the Doctor as Jon Pertwee. So, pretty much what Tom Baker did after him. William Hartnell was the same. Some people, I think it was Verity Lambert (then producer), said Hartnell’s Doctor was grumpy and cantankerous because William Hartnell was. So, will we see something close to who he is, or closer to other characters he has played, or maybe something completely different?

Time will tell.

No comments: