Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Random Thoughts About Data

Data is an android. He doesn’t feel anything, he doesn’t experience emotions and he’s fictional. Then why does it bother me when La forge is working on him and there are cables hanging from a socket in his head. And why does it bother me when Riker turns him off in court and why do I feel the need to request to turn him back on? What’s worse, Data himself is completely unimpressed. But then again, that’s no surprise.


Note: second viewing resulted in a different reaction; I was laughing at the sheer abruptness of Data’s turned off status.

Watching the crew manhandling a very inactive Data is also always a fascinating sight. You know what, I want that doll. I have a house that needs cleaning. I’d like an android, or an Ood. I’m not fuzzy.

And why does a straw sticking from Riker’s head not bother me at all? That actually made me laugh. And why did it leave me absolutely indifferent that people were eating from Troi’s cakey body? It looked really spongy. Not so sure about the icing though.

Is Data hollow on the inside? Could he actually carry a phone inside him? Seems a little weird.

No comments: