Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Star Trek Fanfic

You know what, I actually started writing Star Trek fanfic.

I've been looking sideways at all the Star Trek series. That means, I've been making notes about the other Star Trek series while watching TNG. I've also been looking at the timeline, the real one, in which Star Trek is just a (very big) franchise. I've been doing some calculations, and like a good human (tribute to the 8th Doctor), I've been applying patterns to it. By my calculation we'll have five more years of Doctor Who. In the meantime there will be at least one other Star Trek movie, maybe two before a new series of Star Trek starts. Doctor Who will end sometime in 2018, there will be a Star Trek movie in 2015, in 2017 a new series of Star Trek starts and one or two more movies will be made. That's my calculation.

Then I started thinking about what a new series of Star Trek would look like. Here's my idea:
1) It will be set in the 25th century;
2) We'll return to the Enterprise. Actually, there will be a new Enterprise with a whole new crew. We'll see it from the start this time.
3) The new Enterprise crew is very aware of the Enterprise's legendary status/image and that will be a battle on it's own.
4) Some small references to TOS, TNG and ENT, etc to indicate how big the name "Enterprise" has grown.
5) The crew has to get used to each other as well.

Because there is a completely new crew, and because they're new to each other as well, there are a lot of oppertunities to study their relationships to each other, and to establish and develop relationships.

I have already started with defining the characters. I'm not quite sure yet, it still needs a lot of work. What I do want to do is striking the balance between men and women. So far I decided to go for a crew of five men and five women. The captain and the first officer roles I'm already filling in. With filling in I mean filling in their characters; I have no names yet. I do know their gender, both will be male. The second officer will be a female as well as the counselar. The counselar is a better version of me, obviously (I'm not gonna pass a chance to work on the Enterprise), though I need to work her character out a bit more.

Other ideas for the crew: I want a female chief of Engineering. Probably a male security officer. The rest of them I have not yet decided.

List of characters so far:
Captain: male
First officer: male
Second officer: female
Counselar: female: might change this to male which will place my character somewhere else.
Chief engineering: female

Just ideas, nothing set in stone.

No comments: