Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Let’s Call it Religion and Start a War

Like always I’m reacting on reactions. The reaction I’m reacting on is a comment made on a column in the Guardian by David Mitchell. I promise, for today that will be the only mention of DM. I want to share a few thoughts about our beliefs on our environmental habitat.

Some of the commentators made good points. I especially like this one:
“You say to me "prove it!"
Is my answer of "you prove otherwise!" sufficient?”

Let’s put a few facts together (in no particular order):
- The earth exists for a very long time (how long is beside the point);
- The earth has seen many life forms blossoming and going extinct already due to bad surviving techniques or environmental issues;
- We, the human beings, been on this planet for a relatively short time;
- People tend to break things, but so does Mother Nature (think volcanoes, earth quakes, a bit too strong breeze);
- The earth is in constant movement pulling things apart, putting things together and breaking it again to sprout something else;
- The earth is very powerful;
- We people think we’re very powerful, but are we really?

Now our beliefs:
- We think we’re God. Admit it, you know you do;
- We’re wrecking the earth, but do we really?;
- The end is near. We always believe that; we just set another date if it didn’t happen.

Now I’m going to ask you a few questions:
- How powerful do you think we are to be able to create new stuff, repair and save or for that matter break down, wreck and kill? Of course compared to how powerful you think Mother Nature is to do all above mentioned. (Don’t forget about the volcanoes, earth quakes, etc.)
- What makes you say what you believe is true?
- Couldn’t it be possible the other one is true?

See how vague this is? I agree with the whole theory that this is a scientific astrology idea of what is and what’s not. Some say it is us who are the main offender. Other say we’re not able to match Mother Nature or the Universe or which other creation or event causes the climate to change. To me it’s all beliefs; the word of one man against that of another man. It’s like a religion; we’re having ideas and act accordingly. Believe and fight. And like in religion, we’re all only just a little bit right. The question is; "Now What?"

Thus far, I didn’t take a stand in my blog. I have in real life and I’ll tell you my believes:
I believe all the above mentioned with on top:
- People tend to break things, but so does Mother Nature;
- Whatever is happening to earth is only for a little bit in our control; we’re only a cog in the wheel;
- It’ll take its time (it always has. Think evolution);
- And yet we seem to be running out of time, and go back to the second point;
- Since I believe we’re a cog in the wheel, I also believe that we should play our parts and pay respect where it is due. This means repairing the damage we made and trying not to wreck too much. Though living doesn’t really come without wrecking, hence the repairing. In more handy recommendations: Try to recycle as much as possible. Don’t overuse anything really, only take what you need. Though the repairing thing is really hard.

I also like a lot of Jason Mraz’s ideas about how to do it like the local shopping. Unfortunately, like always, our own cultural existence stands a lot of these low key solutions in the way. And beside that, trying to care really isn’t that fun, because it would mean we have to return to our uncomfortable lives.

Life really is hard and living creatures really are scared, hungry and miserable. Human beings just happen to be the best at making themselves comfortable.

Source: DM Guardian column

3 comments:

stephanie clara said...

We are messing up, completely, there's no proof needed, one just has to open his eyes.


People always say: "Save Mother Nature, save the Earth".

But the Earth doesn't need to be saved.
The Earth is much stronger and more powerful than all of mankind together.

To live ecologically responsible is not to save the Earth.
It is to save the people living on it.


stephanie

Wiwik said...

Thank you Stephanie, you mentioned a few thoughts I failed to mention. Though I would like to point out a few contradictons in your comment if you don't mind.

You start with "We are messing up, completely, there's no proof needed, one just has to open his eyes". Then you go on about how much stronger Earth is 'than all of mankind'. This made me conclude that the first sentence is redundant, cause no matter how much we mess up, the Earth will repair it anyway. Or when you look at it in perspective, we're not messing up anything, cause the way we live is 'that's life' and the Earth has to clean up after every living creature anyway and does so. It will only take longer since we're good at making a lot of mess. Ergo, there is no proof we are causing any inrepairable damage.
This all fits perfectly in my 'cog in the wheel' theory.

And I do agree with you, we are talking about saving us, not the earth. Though on the other hand, it's not just us we're slowly killing, but other creatures and life forms as well. I think it's maybe a little too black and white to say we're only in it to save our own sorry asses, but I suppose most of us are.

Wiwik said...

And I would like to add that I was only talking about people trying to decide who they should point their finger at. Finger pointing is useless in my opinion, I'd rather do something to solve some problems. That was the main reason I decided to write this blog.