Monday, August 9, 2010

In the Office

Why do those artists keep making these condescending and annoying assumptions in public about what they think an office job is? Even though I agree with them an office is not the most inspiring environment, it still can be quite exhilarating. There’s a lot to be done in an office; exciting things like projects, building and creating things, making things better, things that have actual substantial, more than art often has.

I remember Jason making such a remark about how lucky he felt he wasn’t stuck in an office. Maybe good for him, but there are people who are really happy in an office. He can’t say anything like that, because he doesn’t really know how it is to work in an office. I think lots of people working in an office have way more to be proud of than he has.

I was watching Stephen Fry, no I was watching QI with Stephen Fry hosting. He said something to the effect that working in an office is not inspiring. Admitted, the buildings are usually grey and boring. It’s not the buildings matter, it’s the people inside them. And excel is actually a very interesting piece of software to burry yourself in for a day. I mean, call me boring, but when I’m bored at work and I want to do something fun, I’m very likely to start making some excel tool thing with all kind of fun functionalities. Excel is not just typing in numbers and maybe put some things together. Excel is logic thinking, it’s creating and making things easier to enter and do with what you need it doing. It's brain training in the truest sense.

Then again, I am aware of the fact that when you work in an office and especially in IT your idea of what is sexy and good looking does change a little. I must admit I get quite excited at a working excel with smart functions in it. Just don’t go saying my career can never be exciting. Yes, my heart is with art, but when I’m in a project trying to make things work, or creating and building things, that can be thoroughly satisfying.

No comments: