Monday, August 2, 2010

Don’t Insult My Canned Laughter

Today has a feeling of dread and the promise there are no laughs left, because we covered it all. Or maybe it’s me, as often is the case I think. Yet, the real truth hearted laughs seem to have dried as well. The complaint of someone saying sketch shows and sitcoms are out of fashion and not funny at all anymore is still echoing in my head. The idea of in the future there are no laughs to be had is frightening. Surely it can’t be true that life has gotten so sour that a sense of humour and a well aimed joke at our suffering can’t provoke at least a smile. Yet, this seems to be the case. I can’t say I find any sitcom or sketch show worth watching. I’m not watching anymore; not that. I am watching panel shows, because these do make me laugh now and then. Though lately, I’ve been disappointed a lot. After every show having missed the feeling of an uncontrollable laugh makes me feel sad, tired and afraid of what is to come.

I’ve been checking out Mitchell & Webb, which you could guess. I can’t say I’m a fan, because I’m obviously not. I don’t recall laughing out loud, because I think I haven’t. I’ve tried liking and getting into Peepshow, but I got bored and gave up. I’m now also giving up on their sketch show. I think I’ll stick to panel shows, even though I only watch QI, because it really is quite interesting. I watch WILTY because I laughed two weeks ago. But I don’t like the feeling of disappointment I had after last Friday’s episode. The main thing I remember about watching that was that I was eating pizza. That’s not a good thing. Also waiting for David Mitchell to go into a rant is getting old. I’m not particularly fond of one-trick-ponies. But if he does go into one, I at least have a laugh. Then there is the feeling with WILTY (which stands for Would I Lie To You, btw) that it somehow resembles Big Brother. I’m not sure I want to know some of those personal anecdotes, not even for the sake of keeping the show funny and afloat. I really don’t feel the need to know the smallest tidbits of DM’s and Lee Mack’s life. Yet replacing them seems like suicide for the show. Or maybe fresh blood could make it fun again? I’m not sure.

I’m increasingly getting tired to see the same people over and over again. Almost every single one of them does his or her trick on every given channel available. How much of the same can we take? Like I said before, I tend to get bored with one-trick-ponies.
I find myself more amused and delighted by the comments from choice internet surfers on articles, reviews and video’s on online papers and youtube. Yes, you come across the dumbest and rudest people there too, but the choice is at least various and not all people commenting are idiots. Their views tend to be even more refreshing and thought provoking than that of the comedian. It’s an observation that worries me a little. What if the best comedians are sitting at home behind their computer or television shaking their heads? It arises the prospect of having to get out of the house again, after all these years. Maybe the fresh air will help us getting some new ideas and we can do it again.

I do believe comedy will always be there in some sketch form or sitcom form. It being there doesn’t mean it’s funny and nice to watch. Not anything human beings ever made up has gone completely extinct, there’s always someone still practising the old craft. It just doesn’t feel new anymore. It doesn’t excite me that much anymore. I care less and less with every minute. I hate caring less with every minute. But the canned laughter are testimony to what’s happening right now. It’s hard to ignore that, especially when you’re really in it for the laughs. I don’t want to write about this, because I want to reserve the hope for more fun. I want to be sure I will laugh in the future. I want to be sure there are still ways of escaping every day drama that is life. I’m not God though. I can’t snap my fingers and have sketch shows and sitcoms exciting and funny again, like it used to be.

This is not even half empty glass, this is a glass from which we’re draining the last bits till there are only drops left for the people who are truthfully passionate about it and don’t get bored so quickly. I know I’m not drinking from that glass anymore; I’m only staring at it hoping someone will refill it for me. It seems I’m going to have to go up to the bar myself and in that case I will try a new drink.

No comments: