Monday, August 9, 2010

To Mitchell&Webb - Commercial Thing

This keeps coming up and it annoys me enough to finally put my two cents in (I’d like them back afterwards, btw).

I do agree it was not betrayal or selling out. I even thought those Mac commercials were quite charming and sometimes I even cracked a smile. But M&W (that is Mitchell & Webb) defend it by making assumptions on why people were against it concluding it was not because they thought it was “betrayal” and/or “selling out”, but because of some other reason I conveniently forgot. Maybe I should shut my mouth about it, because I would be the third party pointing and making assumptions and that’s exactly what I’m aiming not to do. Beside that, I really did forget what they (M&W) thought it really was; something about a baby killing machine (edit to wink: ;-), I did get what you were saying M&W).

Here’s my view on the subject. I don’t find celebs very cool for putting their faces on a product. By doing that you pretty much say: “Buy this, because I support it.” It takes your innocence off of the business side of things. It does indeed say you’re going for the big money. Sure, almost no one would decline it, would they? It’s just not charming.

That was hardly a good defence or attack or whatever it even was anyway. It’s just that it’s something I wouldn’t do as quickly and I’m not very likely to approve of such choices. I don’t wear logo’s. I refuse to do advertising for anyone. I only advertise myself and I don’t understand the concept of money enough to say I’d go for the big money.

I suppose we prefer our favourite artists to be clean and innocent. It has something to do with the soft side of art being it is all on principle and not for the money. It’s something we believe is having heart for something doesn’t go along with money making. It’s something like going for the money makes you less believable about your art. It’s like your heart is not really in it, and that we don’t appreciate. Art is about emotions, money is not.

I had to get this off my chest. The things said on both sides seemed wrong to me and especially to M&W I wanted to explain where they went wrong....twice.

They’re going to hate me.

No comments: