Wednesday, August 18, 2010

TM&WL - Sherlock Holmes sketch

I feel compelled to say something about TM&WL’s last sketch aired yesterday. It was about an aging Holmes suffering from dementia. Watson was visiting him and a string of things happened as they do when you’re visiting someone with dementia. Watch here:


The reason I’m blogging about this is, because I feel the people who feel offended and the people who are not sure what M&W were trying to do don’t quite understand what happened or what M&W’s intentions were. Obviously, I too can only guess, but my take on their reality makes me see the good in that sketch.

First of all, that sketch wasn’t only designed to make people laugh, or as some offended said ‘...to ridicule dementia...’ Especially the ending was merely designed to make people think, or to at least leave an impression. They sure succeeded in the latter. Comedy is not only to laugh. Comedy is also there to provoke to think about things.

Secondly, like some other people said, they were rather ridiculing themselves, like so many times before. I have to rewatch to say something sensible about that though.

Thirdly, it seemed to be designed to end up in the last episode of this series and with some intent. I’m not quite sure what they intended to do, but if I grab back to a sketch in the penultimate episode of this series, their intent seemed to aim at a poignant ending á la Blackadder, last episode of the last season, season 4. This is the only point where I disagree. The ending of Blackadder was this poignant, because not only the viewer understood there was something big and inevitable going on, it was also a very definite goodbye to characters we learned to love over the course of 4 seasons. Oh, wait, I think I’m getting to the root of the Holmes sketch. Now I need to rethink.

Fourthly? When I play back the sketch as it’s cemented in my memory, I only saw a conversation and reaction in such way conversations tend to go with people suffering from dementia. It is funny sometimes. Painful, but still funny. I remember laughing at my grandma because she did or said something weird. What was I suppose to do, cry? Sure I’ll cry, just not the whole day through. I need to get through life just as much, so let me laugh from time to time. The best we can do anyway is our best.

Fifth: That, in my opinion, wasn’t crass, offensive nor tasteless. It was what it was. It was how life can be. Holmes was not ridiculed, he was pitied. No-one came in pulling his pants over his head, nor did Watson try to make a fool of him; he was cared for.

That’s why I refuse to be offended and choose to be very grateful. It might have been an eye opener to some people. It might have been a reminder to others, including me. That sketch teaches us to deal with life as it comes. I’d say kudos to Mitchell & Webb for that one.

Dangerous choice though.

3 comments:

Owen said...

Thanks.

Owen said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Wiwik said...

Thnx for the "Thanks".