Monday, February 1, 2010

Grammy for Rant - edition 2010

Why did I reply in a topic on RKOP? Probably because there was another non-discussion going on and retreating into ‘yay’ and ‘nay’ saying. Or maybe I was unpleasantly surprised by Jason’s absence when he did win his Grammy’s.

Where the hell was he? Apparently, on the red carpet having his picture taken in his eco-friendly suit and ‘peeking’ at other celebs. Weird. Wasn’t he a bit curious to know if he won or not? Especially concerning the Grammy’s an artist is completely at the mercy of a big group of people who have to appreciate your product (be it a song, an album, or vocals, or just the artist him/her/itself) more than the product of your fellow nominees. So when you do win, it does mean something, even though the Grammy crowd do tend to make weird choices. Wouldn’t it only be polite to accept your award and say thank you?

Don’t get me wrong, I think he deserved to win and I still think the Grammy’s are bogus, but it does deserve some level of appreciation from the artist.

What baffles me the most is the fact it was this time Jason Mraz, Mr. Gratitude, who decided something else deserved his presence more than the award giving part of the Grammy organization. It makes me wonder what was more special and more deserving. In my mind, I can’t think of anything that could happen on the red carpet that deserves more attention from Jason than the crowd who found him worthy of receiving an award and with that public recognition. Not on that red carpet, not that precise evening.

I can only think of reasons that will sound selfish and/or arrogant to the incidental passerby.

Jason choose showing off his eco-friendly suit on the red carpet over saying thank you for receiving an award and showing his suit off there.

Jason choose peeking at his fave celebs over saying thank you for receiving an award.

Jason preferred to talk himself up to the outside press, instead of being humble to the inside Grammy crowd.

Jason preferred his own enjoyment over that of a big crowd who were trying to honour him.

Only this one is kind of positive:
Jason choose to talk his environmental speech to the outside press, instead of practising gratitude and telling inside his environmental speech.

Still, even the last one won’t stand, cause he would probably spend more time on the red carpet than on the stage accepting anyway, so enough time to have done both.

To be honest, I’m scared he’s not going to provide an explanation and will completely overlook the crowd who thought him to be worthy of receiving those Grammy’s.



You will see, the day after I post this, Jason will post a blog explaining, apologizing and thanking everyone including the Grammy crowd.

6 comments:

Hannah said...

I see your point, I just am not assuming that he wasn't inside cause he didn't want to be. Maybe he was under obligation to walk the carpet.

Or, who knows, maybe last year stung so badly that he couldn't bear to sit inside this year?

I just don't feel like assuming he snubbed the thank yous because he prefers the red carpet.. it just doesn't make sense to me.

Also, things like this make me realize PORK has been absent for a while. hm.

Wiwik said...

Why would he be obligated to walk the red carpet during the anouncement of his category? That makes no sense to me.

Maybe last year stung badly, but he's a big boy. And even if it was a protest against previous year (which I doubt), I think he could have done that better.

I don't assume he snubbed the thank yous because he prefers the red carpet, I just can't think of a valid and plausible excuse to not be there. And it wouldn't be the first time Jason does something that doesn't make sense to me.

Concerning PORK, don't miss them.;-)

Wiwik said...

Just so you know, I don't really care that much about Jason's whereabouts anymore; I was just in a very verbal mood.

Still love him tho.

Hannah said...

lol, well, regardless.. I ain't mad at him.
I could probably write a pretty accurate guess as to what his speech would've said anyway. (And that's without the blog coming up soon that'll voice his thank yous.)

I kinda miss the excitement. Is that bad? Also, it's just odd how their site has been locked down for months. Didn't think they would give up.

Wiwik said...

About what you said about the content of his speech: YES! At least he's transparant.

Really, their site is locked down? You think Jason assasinated them!?

And I can stir things out there ;-)for your excitement.

Hannah said...

Haha, please do. I'd rather have an insightful, intelligent person with a measure of respect for everyone (including Jason) pointing out when he has fucked up than a group of polarizing misfits who may actually be only one person.