Thursday, June 20, 2013

the Last William - King Gorilla

In my research for everything about Alexander I found several websites dedicated to the Dutch royals. Several of those sites have individual entries on the many members. Usually the texts are very general and have small errors. Nothing to worry about, though it irritates me sometimes. One of those sites is http://koningshuis.wordpress.com. On every entry you can comment. I usually don’t accept when I find there are big mistakes or when other people have asked questions, which happened on this particular site. I think I fill most of the comments area.


Original design for a King Gorilla statue
Source: original
The person asking the questions has posted a link to a report from a Dutch news show called “Brandpunt”. The report was called “De laatste Willem” (the last William) It was quite interesting, if I hadn’t known as much as I do. The reason I’m blogging about it is the blunt way they talked about Alexander. Let me see if I can find the exact words said about Alexander:

“…getormenteerde ziekelijke homoseksueel die niet wilde deugen..”

Translation: “…a tormented, sickly, homosexual, who didn’t want to be ok…”

And:

“…mismaakt, intelligent…”

Translation: “…deformed, intelligent, …”

The one blatant mistake “deformed” I have to adress. He was not deformed; he wore a corset in his teens to make sure he wouldn’t become so. What annoys me, but what I can’t help, is the minimal painting of the person he was. I’m sure he was much more than that, but he didn’t do anything to prove that.

Maybe it’s just very easy to offend me by saying anything about Alexander. Of course, I had no problem with "intelligent".
Other than that, I really enjoyed that report. I loved the little anecdotes about the king. Something you can now laugh about, because it’s been more than 100 years ago. And the fact they couldn’t find a statue of King William III. In the end they found one, but they never even bothered to put some bronze on it. It was covered in an unflattering plastic cover.

Well, so far for King Gorilla.

The report: De Laatste Willem

2 comments:

Hasan Ördek said...

Fijn om te horen dat je de documentaire zo interessant vond!!!

Hasan Ördek said...

Fijn om te horen dat je de documentaire zo interessant vond!!!