Tuesday, October 20, 2009

The Elitists

In the past I accused people of elitist’s behavior. I saw the slaughter of new members (newbies or noobs or even more popular: n00bs), because they didn’t live up to unwritten rules of speech and behavior. Easily the older members attacked them for not knowing nor living by those unwritten rules. It seemed unfair to me, which is was, so I fought my battle for the ones who didn’t dare to speak up, or were too weak to defend themselves. These days belong to my past.

First I joined the Dutch equivalent of that community and later I even quite visiting the American (official) community. With that, a new era started.

Now, about 2 years since I joined the Dutch community and about 6 months since I left the American community, I realized something.

The Dutch community, young and innocent and still searching for its identity at the end of 2007 when the forum was born, grew into its own. As of today we count 400 members and a shitload (there goes the classy tone of this blog) of posts.

We had some falling outs, though never as hard and tough as the ones on the American community (watch me dodging the term ‘official’). Still, we are a group of people, members if you will, with our own book of unwritten rules. We do measure new members to these rules and we won’t cut you any slack. As a matter of fact, if you don’t get through the tests, you won’t ever be a real part of us.

I consciously described it as harsh as I did. We’re actually quite a nice group of people with not that tight of rules as the ones on RKOP. Fact is, not everyone will feel right at home. Fact is also that we defend our unwritten rules whenever we see fit. We’re everything a normal, real life, European community would be; kind and welcoming, but judging and kind of liberal.

5 comments:

Hannah said...

so, you quit RKOP forever?

Most of the people on there are really nice. You shouldn't any particular person(s)' attitude ruin it for you.

Wiwik said...

Some people ar really nice, but I need something in people that apparently mainly Dutch people have. Besides that, the main vibe on there I don't like. I'm not very good in kissing Jason's ass and I'm not liked for that. So I think it's better this way.

BTW, I do read sometimes, but only the picture and video thread.

Hannah said...

What do mainly Dutch people have, can you describe it?

I agree that people there sometimes can kiss J's ass, but I don't really fault them for it. After the PORK trolls showing up over and over, people are very defensive about him. I don't know. I don't agree with everything he does/is but overall feel as though he should be treated as anyone else and shouldn't be canonized (see my chat with PORK as "smile" - who they figured out was me, lol).

Anyway, I guess do what makes you happy. If RKOP doesn't, then it doesn't. I'm glad you've found a community that you do enjoy.

Wiwik said...

Dutch people have a healthy ability of taking distance and observing from that distance. We tend to be more critical concerning Jason's love, life and music. If we don't like it, we just say so without being denigrading or being mean about it. We're something in between RKOP and PORK. None of the two communities would survive on our forum, cause after a while, we just let it go and die (the discussion or problem). And that's exactly what I was looking for. Jason is not worth having a fuz that puts people down because they disagree.

Hannah said...

It sounds like a more balanced view, for sure. Some people do treat him as though he is the second coming or something similar. Overall, I am satisfied with RKOP as a community. It's a slow process, bonding with people, and some are quite hesitant to let a new person be their friend.. but after a few months I can say I have a couple of friends in the DC area who I met on RKOP and hang out with in person plus a slew of others I talk to on the board + facebook. I'm happy with it. But I understand your dissatisfaction and if you've found a better community, then I am happy for you. :)