Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Professional Advice Skills

Last week I started on a new training to develop my advicing skills and pick up tips & tricks. I now know I play an “Expert” role which means my advices are often followed up. You might wonder what the problem is, why do I think I need training, everything seems to go well. First of all, nearly one year ago I changed department and my advicing skills are more counted on. We work according to certain architecture rules. We noticed our clients are not always willing to follow those architecture rules, because it takes them more time and money to implement. Also, finding more and new tips & tricks is always helpful.


I suppose I want to point out the implications of an expert role. The reason an expert’s advice is followed up is because the other parties simply don’t know what’s best, so they trust the expert’s advice. That gives you a certain amount of power, and I must admit, I have used that power to get things done in applications I was responsible for.

However, that power might strand on a couple of assets, like money or time. Everything always has to be done yesterday and for no money. Obviously, that’s impossible, but it does often inflame the discussions we seem to be having on a daily basis. Sometimes the client is deaf for our arguments and is intend on evading our advice. Yesterday we had such a discussion. In the end my colleague suggested the client approach the CTO to have the discussion there. Whatever the CTO decides in this case, will be binding. Let’s see what will come of that.

I must say, the training is very pleasant and informative. Though there is not much time to focus deep on subjects. There’s only three days of training and two weeks between every training in which we are supposed to do homework, which I haven’t done yet. What’d you expect; I’m desperately bad with homework.

That’s where things are at in my professional life. Not very interesting to you, I imagine.

No comments: