Friday, June 21, 2013

Back to the Start - Method of Research

Let’s start at the start for a change.


At an undefined age, it must have been in my twenties, I was aware of the fact that Queen Wilhelmina became queen when she was just a child. I knew the reason she was so young, was that her father, the former king, had died when Wilhelmina was just a child. I also knew that Wilhelmina’s mother, at that age name unknown, became queen-regent for her daughter. And of course I was aware that before Queen Beatrix her mother, Queen Juliana, had been queen right after Wilhelmina.

That was as much as I knew about the royal roots back into the 19th century.

I do vaguely remember finding out there had been other children who had all died before the king died. I do vaguely remember thinking that was rather tragic. That was as far I was willing to look back, at the time.

Now I need to tell you a little how I usually go about researching new interests.

It usually starts with one person, or a band. When I look back I can still pinpoint where and with who my interest started, except for Monty Python. When something, or more likely someone, has captured my attention I start rigorously researching/googling my new subject. I almost literally absorb the information. I read, watch, listen everything I can find or manage to get my hands on. My experience also is that forums are a great source for more detailled information. You can also dose yourself up on an unhealthy shot of discussion, speculation, gossip and fight. It gives you a good impression of the demographic that your subject attracts.

In some cases they grab me, I resist, they hold me, I give in and then start my research. That’s pretty much what happened with Alexander. I wasn’t looking for him, I was finding out about the kings that ruled this country.

The general start tends to be wikipedia or a website about the subject of interest, usually found with google. From there I google on and get into more and more detail, which on Internet is often not very detailled, unless when it’s about popular 20th or 21th century subjects. The real details can be found on fansites, for the above mentioned subjects. Other subjects need to be researched with the help of documentation (in libraries) and books (also libraries or bookshops). Alexander belongs to the latter categorie; the documentation and book research.

Obviously, Internet research is easier than documentation and book research. The Internet is pretty much everywhere available for me these days. Books have to be visited in libraries or bought in shops, which takes more effort, time, and in case of buying, more money. The researching costs me more money, but I don’t think Alexander is going to release an album or tour any time soon, or even at all. If that would happen, I would get a little scared (but it wouldn’t stop me buying tickets to go and see him).

Today it’s the 21st of June 2013. That means exactly 129 years ago Alexander died, age 32. Since I was going to write a character study for all of King Willem III’s family, I decided to kick that off today, on Alexander’s death day. Of course I’m going to start with Alexander.

No comments: