Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Ah, It's Queen William II

This King was known not only to seek female attention. His sexual adventures got him in great trouble. He was bribed and then paid for nearly the whole rest of his life to keep his secret a secret.

I could joke about it, but it was really rather tragic. Still, the "Koniningin" Willem II was very funny to me.

He was also known as the hero of Waterloo. He fought there against Napoleon and got wounded.

How deserved that title was, I'm not sure. There are no clear records of what the (then) prince did at Waterloo. Not as well documented as the troubles he got in later.

His reign was a particular short one, from 1840 to 1848, if I'm not mistaken. He was also the king who signed the Dutch constitution as we know it today. Worth something, I would say. Eventhough he admitted himself: "He went from being very conservative to very liberal in one night."

Okay....

No comments: