Monday, July 20, 2009

13 Minutes Rant: How Practising Gratitude leads to Green Handling

With Mr.AZ and the rest of the world being all consumed in the green gratitude thoughts, I suppose I can’t really ignore what keeps our minds busy these days.

Being grateful sounds like a simple thing. Of course I started to wonder about if we really should be grateful for certain things, like being alive. Are we really supposed to be grateful to be alive? The way I look at it, I can’t find a good reason to be grateful to be alive. Since I don’t remember anything about me being not alive, and since I don’t remember it hurting or uncomfortable to be not alive. I wonder if that really is what I should be grateful for.

See, I’m sure of two things: 1) I got born once, apparently a painful and traumatizing experience and 2) I will die one day, apparently that could be another painful and traumatizing experience. Before 1 and after 2 I’m not existing, and therefore there is no me who is in pain or being uncomfortable. Therefore, I am not as much grateful for being alive, but rather for the painless, interesting and helpful way my life is being experienced. I am only one cog in the wheel of life of Mother Nature. Quite a responsibility.

I am grateful for my upbringing; My parents teaching me how I can be a positive addition to life on planet earth and how to make the best of it for me and all other living things around me. It is my responsibility to respect life and treat all I’m given by earth, which is pretty much everything, with the same respect. And I am grateful for everything I get as an extra from earth in return for my respectful handling. (I’m not saying I’m a saint, cause I’m obviously not.)

This is what ‘Practising Gratitude’ is all about to me. If I do it right, I am grateful and green in one go. If I do it right, I lived my life the way all life was supposed to be. And now I am worried about the last judgement before I go out.

Sites:
http://www.freshnessfactorfivethousand.blogspot.com/
http://www.cafegratitude.com/

No comments: