Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Brent and America's Gun Problem

During this whole saga I kept from commenting, because 1) I'm not well enough informed to join the discussion, 2) I didn't want to comment about guns to Brent, mainly because I agree with him and 3) I do not want to discuss this subject on Twitter. In the end Brent used another functionality of Twitter (Twitlonger) to elaborate about his thoughts about gun owning and gun regulation. I wish he had done that in the first place instead of taking it to regular Twitter. You can not construct a sound and complete opinion on the guns problems in 140 characters, as Brent effectively demonstrated. He was attacked by pro-gunners, to some extend rightfully so, in the most absurd and scary ways. If he just wanted to bring out what is so scary about pro-gunners, he succeeded. So it was good for something...hopefully.

Anyway, I copied a piece of dialog from a forum about his debating skills. The reason is, this gives another rare inside into Brent.

Christmas Tree:
“And the people “debating” with him-do they really want to do that? Chances are he’d wipe the floor clean with them. I remember hearing stories about him when I was a debater. TNG was on the air and everyone was talking about him. Turns out he’s a legend in the NFL. (National Forensics League)”
Housewives:
“In the forensics league? I’ve never heard that. I have heard, and also surmised by what I have heard and read from the man himself, that he is extremely intelligent. He is also very progressive politically. Heard he used to be a big hippie back in the 60’s and protested Vietnam. I have no idea why I am rambling.”
Christmas Tree:
“back in the day. Supposedly the man was a powerhouse of knowledge and had a golden tongue, though the event that he killed at nationals was actually DI. (dramatic interp) My coach said something about how, even though he was in events and not debate, he seemed extremely knowledgeable about the debate topics and seemed more than able to hold his own in extemp at the national level.”

Housewives:
“Thanks for sharing!! ”
Christmas Tree (or xmas74):
“My coach remembered him because he was also competing in the same event.   I think he said that was the same year Shelley Long was also at nationals but for a different event.”
Housewives (or Tree-Hugger):
“I went all nerd and googled it. I found this:
http://www.pointloma.edu/experience/academics/schools-departments/department-communication-theatre/faculty/skip-rutledge/famous-folks-who-did-forensics

It says;
"Brent Mintz won Dramatic Interp with a selection from Elia Kazan's AMERICA, AMERICA competing for Bellaire High School in Houston, TX, in 1967. He went on to fame as Brent Spiner, a.k.a. "Data" on "Star Trek: The Next Generation" and numerous other TV and movie roles."

Pretty cool.”

Source: http://www.democraticunderground.com/10024014870

Here's Brent's thoughts on Twitlonger: http://www.twitlonger.com/show/n_1rre9mn

No comments: