Friday, February 8, 2013

Why the TV-Movie Wasn't Satisfactory

Here's another one I wrote but never posted. Probably the same reasons apply for not posting and the same reasons apply for posting it now.

So far, I’ve never blogged a word about Doctor Who the TV movie. However now, I do feel the need to. The reason why all of a sudden I do feel the need? Simple. Back on the Digital Spy forum there’s a thread about the TV movie (as a matter of fact, there are several). Some people have once again stated they didn’t like the TV movie and once again some people don’t understand why so many people don’t like the TV movie.


I’m one of the people who doesn’t like the TV movie. And here is why:

1. The story isn’t great
It just isn’t. Nothing new or extraordinary (cinema wise) is happening. There are also a few story points that go against traditional Doctor Who like the Doctor being half-human (on his mother’s side). Not only does it make him less special, it also takes away from the mystery that is the Doctor.

2. It doesn’t feel like Doctor Who
This of course is a matter of opinion, but to me it’s a clear break from how Doctor Who always felt (and now starts feeling again under the reign of Moffat). It’s very obviously American and, dare I say it, Hollywood. To me it’s too generic Hollywood make which I never really like in any case.

3. The Doctor snogs a girl
A lot of people use the argument: “The Doctor snogs quite a bit in Nu Who.” Yes, that’s true, and I don’t like that either. The Doctor never snogged anyone in the Classic series; he was sort of impartial, or distant, or aloof. What, to me, makes Doctor Who special are the friendships he develops. It’s interesting to see how someone from a different species interacts with human beings. The Doctor entering a love affair with a human being is wrong for the exact reasons the 10th Doctor gives to Rose after Sarah Jane reappeared in his life. It’s wrong and unfair to both parties and therefore the Doctor should keep the distance.

4. Other things
Besides all these points, yes, the production values are better, but I never really cared much for visuals and scenery. I’m interested in the story and the characters. And yes, the TARDIS looked fabulous, but I couldn’t give a rat’s ass. I suppose what bugs me is the wrong balance in the relationship between the Master and the Doctor. There’s nothing left of the mutual respect between the two. Then the relationship between Grace and the Doctor doesn’t do it for me. Grace is nice enough, but the character never really warmed to me. Maybe because very early on it was clearly stamped on us that this was ‘Amazing’ Grace. I don’t know.

No comments: