Friday, February 8, 2013

Jake Gyllenhaal's Performances

This was a piece I started writing and now I can add to. First the bit I wrote before:


Lately I’ve been watching people of whom I expect a lot. Right now, only one name comes to mind; Jake Gyllenhaal. I believe he’s a very talented actor, but somehow, more often than not, it seems it doesn’t come quite out. Too many times I’ve watched him in some movie thinking he did all right but not brilliant. I come out of these movies thinking he can do much more than he showed. How does that work? Who’s fault is it?

And now what I think after having followed him for a little bit.

I think I figured why his performances often are ok but not brilliant, or in other words only just above average. It seems Jake needs someone to pull him into better performances. He needs a better actor playing opposite him who can drag him along, or who can inspire him to perform better. I suppose it has to do with Jake not being able to find the right form for a character himself. He's a reactionary actor, not the initiator. Shame really, because he's not always lucky enough to work opposite brilliant actors and it makes it even harder to have him be the lead.

No comments: