Thursday, October 17, 2013

General Surprise About My Position in My Job

During my whole career as an IT-professional, I was not only lucky to work on several different projects in different kind of subjects as well as in different kind of organizations, I had also the honour to work with several different people, some of which are high achievers always trying to run faster than the environment could follow. Apparently, I was found capable enough to eventually take on a bit of a lead and operate nearly completely independent. It turns out, I am not much of a teamplayer, but more of forerunner trying to pull the team to a higher level.


I know this much, I don’t suffer fools gladly and I tend to be impatient with people not quite (yet) getting what we’re trying to achieve. I’m a perfectionist and I expect no less of others. Tricky, since not everyone is as perfectionistic as I am. But I’ve been very lucky to have worked with other nitpickers who dissected my work as much as I did theirs. Gladly, cause it improved theirs and my work. I’ve been lucky to have worked in small teams, usually no more than two of us steering the whole damn team/project, building a powerhouse collaboration.

I am nearly in the same position now. My nearest colleague, I work closest with, is slowly growing towards a different function which means he’s getting busy and dumping work he used to do on my desk while he concentrates on another side of our work. It means I’m not basically writing functional designs anymore, I’m now writing proposals for new projects and for company policies. Once again I managed to manoeuvre myself into doing tasks on a higher plane than I’m hired for. Now I want the appropriate reward as well since costs seem to double this winter.

I don’t really want to sound arrogant and celebrate my own well doing at work, it’s just that it leaves me baffled every time. I don’t think I’m as good as some other people seem to think. I’m smart enough and I have the fortune of having a fairly sweet and pleasing disposition, but I’m only human and I can pinpoint the mistakes and character flaws easily. With where I am today, I count myself very lucky people are willing to see good in me and trust me to take on certain tasks. I am up for it, but maybe there’s someone else out there who’s upper for it. But then again, there probably always is, for most people.

No comments: