Monday, September 30, 2013

Random Thoughts and Musings

It's been pretty busy today. Busy enough I couldn't write a proper blog post. I did write some stuff. What I'm going to post is a collection of thoughts ranging in subject from Star Trek and Brent to Alexander and work. This is bound to be boring.

To be completely honest.


Over the last couple of weeks, I have been thinking and testing how I really feel about my latest interest. I have come to a conclusion.

It’s Data I love, it’s Brent’s work I admire and Brent who fascinates me and I haven’t let go of Alexander yet.
This said, I prefer to watch Brent playing Data, though a Franz or Dennis is acceptable too, and I really need to revisit ‘Wij Alexander’ and ‘De Troon’.


Last week I was watching Star Trek the Next Generation which from now on will shorten to STTNG. Surprise, surprise. To be precize, I watched one episode from the seventh season and then some of the extra’s. One, which I really liked, was the Captain’s tribute, in which Patrick Stewart talked about his time on the show and about his cast mates. About Brent he said it took him longer to get to know Brent. That sparked a little theory in me. I must admit, it wasn’t really sparked, but rekindled. The idea had already sparked after my two lenghty reactions on Bravura I blogged about yesterday. The idea was also rekindled, because some people confirmed it.

Brent is a very privat person, which is fair. It does mean he doesn’t really talk about his private life and there is not much known about his life outside his work; people don’t even seem to be sure he and Lori are married.
To protect his private life he tends to give bullshit answers to questions and the man we get to see is a very public persona and has, presumably, not that much to do with the real Brent Spiner. Ironic choice of words since his website is therealbrentspiner.com.
He’s playing the persona so often and so thoroughly, it did make me hope he could unwind propperly when home. To me it seemed to be a very exhausting way of living your life.

Sure, everybody probably uses the public persona when outside, but I think most of us stay very close to ourselves. Not that I expect Brent to be completely different, but I do expect him to be more peaceful at home. He seems well balanced, mentally. He doesn’t look like he necessarily needs all the fanfare and hussle. He doesn’t need all the noise. Maybe he really is as silly and sarcastic. I don’t know. The feeling remains, his public persona is a very tight and fan proof screen (as opposed to waterproof). It makes trying to get to know ‘the Real’ Brent Spiner more of a interesting challenge and it makes the real person more of a mystery. Exactly what the Doctor ordered.


Sometimes I really feel they put too much faith in me. Other times I can’t believe the praise, because I felt the job was really simple. In any case, I don’t take praise well.

In my job the colleague I work most with now let’s me do stuff I feel he does much better. I suppose, since I’m the only other person knowing the process and ins and outs, I’m the most suitable person to take over. Still, his faith in my abilities I often find misplaced, or at least exagerated. Sure, I’m not stupid, I can understand simple to medium complex processes. However, I am not as smart as some people might think, neither am I functioning as well as I think I should, or they think I am. Sure, I get my things done, but I feel I could be much more efficient and effective.


For a few years I’m more wondering why I’m attracted to certain people than actually enjoying the new interest. Mainly because I was caught off guard a few times. It started with Jake. Throughout my whole Jake period all I could think was: “What-the-hell!?!?!?” Same with Brent now: “What-the-hell!?!?!?”

I can’t see my interest in Brent going for very long. I’m expecting it to last as long as my interest in Jake. I am still loyal though, I will try to keep up with what they’re doing, but I won’t follow frantically.

No comments: