Friday, May 24, 2013

the Republic

Quite a few years ago I had my first gush of Orange interest. Back then the subject of my affections was Prince Johan Friso, son of Princess Beatrix and Prince Claus. He’s been in a coma for more than a year now after being caught in an avalange in 2012. My interest in him was way before Mabel gate, back in the ‘90s I think. Looking back I can’t remember why I felt attracted to him. Pretty much like now.

Prince Johan Friso

 I’m not a royalist. Observing it all, from a distance, to me it all feels very unnatural. And because it feels unnatural, I can’t see how certain things within a monarchie can work. Yes, I know, we regulated it and our monarchie, as it is now, is for a great part ceremonial. Still, a monarchie seems like a tricky thing to me.

Queen Sophie, Alexander’s mum, once said something like, if people could see behind the scenes of a monarchie, they would become republican (in the Dutch sense of the word).
I liked that, obviously. Not only because I don’t really believe in a monarchie, but mainly because someone high up and right in there had the wits to not only noticing it, but also to confirm it. I’m sure she wrote that in one of her letters to one of her many friends, and not in public. Not in public for whatever reasons. Maybe because she didn’t have the power to set up the republic, maybe not even the power to voice her ideas. Who knows her reasons?

In an earlier post I said I don’t think we can do without the Oranges anymore. That hasn’t changed. I did get more curious about the possibilities to go back to being a republic. What would it take? Do we have all characteristics, knowledge, skills and powers needed to making it a success? And how long would we need to build the republic back to strength? I mean, it’s been more than 200 years since we actually were a republic, the Republic. In the passed two centuries the Republic has crept out of our systems, out of our minds and heads. We are subjects to a King, and that’s how we’re living our lives. We can’t remember being inhabitants of a Republic. We don’t know that life, nor do we remember how to live those lives.

Those are objections that I think can be overcome, but it would take time. A lot of time. So what would be the pros? A democratically chosen leader. No money to an expensive royal family (but to the republic). No ridicule over an out of date and highly undemocratic tradition. Yeah, I can’t think of more.

What I do want to do is read a bit more about being a republic and the pros and cons people come up with. Who knows I will do some research. If I do, you will find the results here.

And now for something completely different: I said I would post the intro, or part of, of the book “Alexander – de vergeten kroonprins” on this blog in the, then, next entry. I didn’t, because I forget to bring the book so I could type over what I wanted you to read. I will do so as soon I don’t forget to bring the book, or when I’m back home. Maybe this weekend, maybe next week. Probably never. In other words, don’t hold your breath.

No comments: