Wednesday, May 22, 2013

the Dutch Royal Soap Continued

Recently, or lately, or the last few days, or would that rather be the coming few days, or more than one century ago or to come, I get stuck in time a little and I’m not even a time traveler.

Alexander at some point in his life
Could this man be the...?

Even I believe this is getting ridiculous and I indulge myself regurarly in fantasizing up ridiculous things. Out of the Doctor Who fandom into Orange fandom, which quite frankly scares me, has me time traveling more than I did with the Doctor. I mean when fantasizing about the Doctor. Hmmm, I wish. I now know my answer when the Doctor asks me where to go first.

This will be one of these blogs in which I get stuck in gushing about my latest interest. About how I can’t stop thinking about him. About his character flaws, completely forgetting he probably can’t help it (anymore) either.

For my convenience at the bottom some links to sources. These two give you a very complete, though not very detailled, and correct retelling of Alexander’s life.

And now, on with the Royal Soap.

On a forum I read the following:

Mr Hayes wrote:

“Who was the real father of Queen Wilhelmina????? We shall never know…..unless people go into the grave chambers in Delft to examine that (DNA).”

To which 22339 replies with:
“That 29 year old prince (meaning Prince Alexander) of course who did it with his step-mother.”


Wilhelmina age 4/5
Could this girl be...?
That one got me. That was a thought I hadn’t come across yet nor did that sprout from my rich fantasies. It had me mildly shocked, amused, excited and then disappointed when I realized that’s not very likely.
However, let’s examine this thought.

Forget all that talk about him never leaving his palace only to lay flowers at his mother’s and brother’s coffins. Also forget that Alexander couldn’t stand the thought of Emma being his step-mother for accepted (by me) moral reasons.

Let’s adopt the generally approved believes that Emma was a good person with a good feel for human suffering. If we forget and/or accept all above mentioned, it’s not a strange thought that Alexander and Emma hit it off. It’s even possible that Wilhelmina is not Willem III’s child, but Alexander’s. In that case, not only has the throne been semi-legally in the Oranje-Nassau family, but something or rather someone of Alexander lives on right up till this day.

See why I got mildly excited? It certainly put a completey different spin on things. It feeds the bottom from which my trees and flowers of absurd stories sprout.

Emma, 20-something
Could this woman...?
On the other hand, picturing Alexander as Wilhelmina’s father, rather than half-brother, seems a bit gross. I know it’s not really; it would even be a bit less gross than the actual situation. I’m still not willing to picture a sixty-something year old king with a twenty-something year old queen having sex, which, if the history isn’t telling lies, actually happened. It might have saved the monarchy, for what it’s worth, it’s still not a very pleasant thought to me. Emma with Alexander seems more acceptable and suitable in equal measures.

It would have meant not only that Alexander had been with a woman, which pales the gay rumours a little, he would have been with his father new wife, his step-mother. In the light of things disturbing, yet interesting. It definitely would make this horrible royal fairy tale complete. Especially since Alexander never meets his little half-sister/daughter.

So, could Wilhelmina Alexander’s child?

Sources Alexander biography:
http://madmonarchs.guusbeltman.nl/madmonarchs/alexander/alexander_bio.htm
http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=42952075

Source Alexander’s supposed saviour of the kingdom (a few messages down):
http://www.startrek.nl/forum/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=1373

No comments: