Monday, September 17, 2012

Why I thought ‘A Town Called Mercy’ was boring

Having that as the title suggests I found the whole episode boring; that’s not actually true. Up to the appearance of Doctor Jex I was bored. Why? It didn’t grip me. Why not? I can’t remember properly; my attention was waning at that point. I think it had to do with the time it took to get to the actual story. The Doctor, Amy and Rory took a little long to get into the town and get to meet Doctor Jex. What I found interesting about the story at all were the moral dilemma’s. These dilemma’s didn’t come to the front till Doctor Jex appeared in the story.

Another reason why I think I didn’t find it interesting was the very predictably looking and behaving Cyborg. I had a very ‘Been there, done that’ feeling about it. At that point the reason why didn’t interest me all that much. It was only later on in the story I started to get interested in the Cyborg’s intentions.
Strangely, I never found Doctor Jex interesting enough to want to know what he did in his past. I think that might have to do with the character not having been fleshed out well enough. Not sure though, this reason seems a bit off, but there goes something wrong.

What I did like was the exploration of duality of morality in the Doctor’s mind. I like how the Doctor is once again tempted to lean more towards the dark side. However, I feel it could be explored even further, but maybe Moffat is working his way to that point. So far he’s shown quite a bit of his dark side in this series. Definitely a theme.



Another thing I need to explain. I haven’t written a blog for ‘Asylum of the Daleks’ nor for ‘Dinosaurs on a Spaceship’. The reason I choose to write a blog for ‘A Town Called Mercy’ was because on Digital Spy some people were wondering why some people found this episode boring. I felt the need to explain, even though they’re not going to read it. ‘Asylum…’ and ‘Dinosaurs…’ were just obviously at least good episodes, no real need for explanation why I felt about those this way.

Anyway, I still think this series is going to be great. Looking forward to next week’s episodes. For once we get a dose of Pond-life which we haven’t had quite enough over the last two series. It’s Earth bound and has Brian (Rory’s dad) in it.

No comments: