Monday, September 10, 2012

Entitlement

How much more do actors and musicians owe us? I’m seriously wondering, because I came across another discussion about time spent meeting fans and signing stuff by an actor (Jake Gyllenhaal) after the play. Apparently he only met a handful of people and signed just as less autographs. Some people were very annoyed and some even heartbroken.

I never understood that reaction. My assumption was always that you paid to see the play or the concert and after, meeting the artist was just an extra. I always thought, and still do, the artist doesn’t owe you more than that. This means, in my opinion, that when the artist decides not to come out to meet fans, that’s his good right and there’s no reason for fans to be offended or heartbroken. Disappointed: Yes. Offended and/or heartbroken: No!

Same discussion going on in respect to Christopher Eccleston. He choose not to jump back in that ol’ river and move on. I think it’s unfortunate, and somewhat naïve of him, that he thought he could move on from Doctor Who as if it was just another project. People will always keep asking him. Will he reprise his role as the 9th Doctor? Will he meet up with other Doctors? Etc… He should have talked to Paul McGann before accepting the role.

However, I find it unfortunate and a little naïve, I still think he doesn’t owe us more than he has given as the 9th Doctor. I will thank him instead.

This still makes me angry. People are so greedy, after two hours of entertainment they still want more. Go home you buggers, you got what you came for!!!

Note: I’m in an angry mood, or at least easily agitated today. That last comment was its child. What I really meant is, don’t be offended and heartbroken if your favourite artist turns out to be human.

No comments: