Wednesday, June 1, 2022

CinemaTherapy

 In my last post I wrote about Tobey Maguire and how I’m not sure why I developed such a hard overwhelming crush on him. I wrote my next quest was to figure out his personality type and that I thought he’s an introvert, but I wasn’t 100% sure. Having watched him more in interviews and behind the scenes and having read more articles about him, I’m starting to get a better picture. I’m not saying I’m getting to know him well, because he’s really good at guarding his privacy and personality.

 I am quite confident in saying he’s an introvert and a judger, based on MBTI. I’m not going to back this up, because this is not a post about MBTI, nor his personality. I would rather concentrate on how he matters to me right now, and why I developed this crush.

 As for most people, 2020 and 2021 have been challenging for me. Unfortunately, I lost some family members during these years. And not being able to go out and let off steam and relax for a bit didn’t help. On top of that, my organization, or at least the part I work in, is in massive transition on top of a shortage in personnel on top of ongoing big projects. Oh yes, and then there was this little thing called Covid19 demanding extra services from us. To say it’s been a bit hectic and chaotic is a gross understatement.

 All this amounted to me pretty much having burnout. I needed an escape and Tobey gave me that. I needed something positive and exciting in my life. I needed some inspiration and motivation to keep going. And Tobey gave me that. Now you want to know how he gave me that and trick me into talking about Tobey after all. Instead I will give you this video: 


 I can add my own two cents why that partnership between Tom, Andrew and Tobey is so inspiring to me, but I think Jonathan said it all in the video.

 This video is from the channel “Mended Light”. I found them through the channel “CinemaTherapy”, because he’s a host on both. I’m subscribed to “CinemaTherapy” and I’m a member of their program here, because I believe you can learn so much from them about your mental health and relationships and how to keep both healthy or how to deal with problems in both.

 Outside of Spider-man (No Way Home or other) Tobey inspires me to keep reflecting, to keep learning, to keep working on myself, to keep taking the difficult hurdles and take my life in my own hands. Sometimes through the movies he’s in or the characters he plays, but also through how he goes through and stands in life. Most people see either a man they call Tobey but is really Peter Parker, or they see a man making mistakes and getting angry and judge him for that.

 When I look at Tobey I see a man who, just like anyone, makes mistakes and sometimes exhibits less than perfect behaviour, but he learns from it. Often you can see patterns in people’s behaviour where they go back and forth between good and bad habits. I don’t see that with Tobey. Tobey makes brand new mistakes from time to time, reflects and then corrects. He is a man visibly learning from his mistakes and I appreciate and admire that.

 If you compare No Way Home Tobey to Spider-man 1 Tobey, he’s much more comfortable and content. Or at least he comes across as more comfortable and content. If you compare his No Way Home demands to his Spider-man 2 demands you also see a clear positive difference. His Spider-man 2 demands were self-serving (even though because partly of health reasons/his back somewhat understandable and his demand for higher salary) where his No Way Home demands were serving the movie (he requested less exposition about his Peter, because it was Tom’s movie, awwww).

 It’s also quite clear he’s a family man and he takes these responsibilities very serious. He guards his family carefully, keeps them out of the public eye and won’t talk much about them in public. I don’t have a very clear view on how he fathers, but what I’ve seen of it, I like it. In this case (seeing) less is better.

 I will say one more thing about Tobey; his taste in movies matches mine beautifully. I watched most movies he appears in now and I enjoyed most of them. I’m even willing to go as far as saying that some of them have entered my list of favourite movies overall. Quite a few of them I will revisit on a regular basis and not just because Tobey is in it, but because I enjoy the story, characters and performances.

 I like to close this post with this from “CinemaTherapy” about mental health problems caused by negative experiences: “It’s Not Your Fault, but It is Your Responsibility.”

 I really wanted to add this, because it’s so true. Also, I can see Tobey took his responsibility and therefore became a beautiful human being.

ETA: Why I'm crushing so hard on Tobey is confirmed here: Psychology of burnout: is your celebrity crush a symptom? (stylist.co.uk)

No comments: