Thursday, June 23, 2016

Garfunkeled

Did I listen in a different way?


It only happened this last week and it only hit me yesterday: “I’ve been Garfunkeled.”

Paul sang it in one of his early songs, a Simple Desultory Philippic, he got Garfunkeled. I’m sure he meant something else than what I’m trying to say here. I’m sure he was talking about the effect and influence Artie had on his life, whereas I’m talking about how his voice drew me in and attracts me to listen to songs over and over again. Though I’m sure Paul got Garfunkeled in the truest sense of the word too.

I was wondering if I was listening in a different way, because it happened only this week. This week I’ve been listening to ‘Flowers Never Bend With the Rainfall” on a loop, because I love the harmonies and Artie’s voice when he sings ‘Soooo I’ll continue to continue…” His voice was also the reason I put ‘For Emily Whenever I May Find Her’ in the playlist, and his voice is the greatest ingredient that makes the Simon & Garfunkel sound. His voice is so unique, so recognizable, so etherical; it really does sound as if it comes straight from heaven. It gives the more upbeat and darker stuff of Paul a strange edge.


No matter how much I hate writing this down, Artie’s voice really was something else, something really good and attractive.

You might wonder why I hate to write it down. You might not. It won’t stop me from explaining. I hate to write that down, because I believe Mr. Garfunkel needs no more lift up into the heavens; his wings might melt.

Anyway, that is what I mean with being ‘Garfunkeled’.

Have you been Garfunkeled yet?

No comments: