Thursday, January 27, 2011

To Charlie Brooker

What is this whole “sell out” accusation about? If those comments are based on how he wears his hair, then I misunderstood the meaning of “sell out”. I’m just as baffled about the hair discussions as Charlie himself is. It’s his hair and he can do with it whatever he wants to.

If the “sell out” accusations are based on him doing the “10 O’Clock Live” show, then I’m still confused. I’m not sure that’s what “selling out” is. They threw him a bone and he accepted it. It would have been impolite if he hadn’t, wouldn’t it? Unless he has a good reason, like he’s on a diet. I’m not sure bones are fattening though.

The only situation in which I would call him a “sell out” is when he decides to join Konnie on the “Xtra Factor”. But that might just be marriage counselling. Not that they have a bad marriage, I don’t think. Just a weird one. I can already hear Simon Cowell commenting on it, the bastard!

It’s not that I’m still in arse licking mode what Charlie Brooker concerns. I do think, like many others, his works from the past two months have left a bit to desire. His “2010 Wipe” was half a rehash of video material and jokes, which was disappointing. I can see how that happens in a news based program so I accept the same video’s, but still, reusing old jokes is just lazy.

Last Tuesday I watched his new program “How Television Ruined Your Life”. Even if the quality compared to a lot of other programs was better, it was below Charlie Brooker’s standard quality. Once again he rehashed old video’s and even old jokes. Charlie, you already did the whole ‘alone in the house’ gag. And the first time it was way funnier and fresher. Tell me, it really was “Screenwipe” in disguise, wasn’t it?

Maybe my expectations were too high and wrong. Maybe not getting what I expected ruined my joy. Tonight you get a new chance. Could you please try to raise the bar and not repeat what Jimmy Carr has already said, albeit he was less funny than you.




Do you think Charlie Brooker googles himself?

No comments: