Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Public Transport

We’ve got chip in our public transport in Amsterdam. Every trip you make by bus, tram or metro has to be paid by chip. And from time to time they do checks to see if you paid.

Yesterday a big team of controllers was awaiting us at one of the stations. They halted the metro and took the time to check on every body still in the metro.

I have a membership, so I don’t need to reload for about 5 years. That’s convenient. With my public transport pass I’m also keeping my company pass to enter my office. The company pass’ magnet is stronger than the public transport pass’.

When the controller asked for my pass I gave him both passes. I knew he’d probably scan my company pass which was under my public transport pass. He did.

In a demeaning voice he asked me: “What did you do, m’am?”

I thought: “I didn’t do anything wrong, but you did.”

Instead I removed the company pass and only answered: “Try again.”

He scanned again and of course the pass was okay. In my mind I was laughing at him, loud.

I just hated the way he said: “What did you do, m’am?” implying I was the one trying to hack the system. And then they wonder why people tend to get aggressive with them.

Handle me with respect and I will do the same with you. Handle me like a little child and that’s probably what you’ll get.

In all the years I travelled with the public transport, I hardly ever encountered a friendly and respectful controller or driver; there were only a few. Most however, did ask to be beaten up or be treated without respect. I never gave in to the urge though.

No comments: