Monday, February 21, 2011

"10 O'Clock Live" - Quick points and Survey results

There’s a notable lack of articles about ’10 O’Clock Live’ on this blog since last week, sort of. Obviously, that’s not entirely true; even though I was sick I did manage to worm out a few words about the show and about how I did not catch it.

I am now up-to-date; someone very kindly uploaded the whole episode on YouTube and I watched it, somewhere in between sips of hot soup. I must admit I have already forgotten what happened. The negative sounds from the forums had left me suspicious, uninspired and uninterested. My cold might have had a stake in that state of mind as well. So, I did watch it, but I can’t yet say much sensible about it. There are a few points though:

 I get increasingly the feeling this show is not aimed at me, which leaves me feeling left out and suspicious with the current students’ level of intellectuality;
 The unbalanced political leanings are getting on my tits;
 The audience’s whooping and cheering is getting seriously on my tits;

And on a more positive note:
 They didn’t swear as much as in other episodes;

And another negative note:
 Less swearing, but more jizz jokes; Oh haha….

My dying interest results in me not as interested in rating anymore as I used to be. However, I’ve had contact with the very kind people of “Survation Ltd” who did the survey on the show. I linked you to the results of the survey last week, I think. As an answer to my questions about the respondents they very kindly sent me the full summary of the survey results. Another inquiry has provided me with permission to publish some interesting results on the question how funny the respondents found the 4 presenters.

Three measures are given; 1) the mean (average) score – adding up their ratings and divided by the number of respondents. 2) Then they looked at the extremes – those rating the presenters a ‘5’ and 3) Those rating the presenters a ‘1’. They expressed the results as a % of the whole.

In the results you can see Mitchell and Brooker can argue about who is the funniest depending on the method.
Only 3% of respondents rate Laverne a ‘5’. Carr is notably far less funny than the other males.

I absolutely loved these results and the different ways you can look at it, especially concerning Brooker and Mitchell.

Yeah all right; “I’m a complete nerd!”

So here's my rating:
1) David Mitchell: Because he stepped way more out of his comfort zone with the interviews than Brooker has. In episode 4 he even (almost) impressed me with his handling the round table discussion about 'the Big Society'. Kudos for that to Mr. Mitchell. Well done!

2) Charlie Brooker: He's just funny, though I wish he pulled his level of quality up. Not too much swearing, and not all the jizz jokes (or maybe just not talking about Berlusconi; a bit too easy a target.)

3) Jimmy Carr: Because he does more than Laverne, is less funny than Brooker and Mitchell, but never really manages to up his game to make a (positive) impression.

4) Lauren Laverne: I'm feeling increasingly more sorry for her. I never understood her presence along the three gentlemen.

Credit: Survation Ltd.
Link: Survey results

No comments: