Friday, September 10, 2010

I Can’t Say I Care

My world has been revolving around catch phrases. I have a few even though I don’t acknowledge them as such. First was an episode of QI I hadn’t seen before. Stephen Fry told us the show hadn’t had a catch phrase up till that episode, but that was going to change that particular episode. Every panel member chose his own catch phrase:

Alan Davies: “Has your mother sold her mangle?”
Clive Anderson: “Who are you?”
Rich Hall: “You’re dumber than a bag of wet mice.”
Reginald D. Hunter: “Do what you do best.”
Especially Reginald put his catchphrase to good use.

At some point Stephen Fry came to talk about the Duke of Wellington’s trousers, because once the Duke was refused to enter a club because of the trousers he was wearing. This leads to Stephen making up his own catchphrase: “I can come in any trousers I like”.

After a while they get to talking about the word “Saurus”, which is Greek for “Lizard” and was ancient Greek slang for “Penis”. “Thesaurus” means a treasure house – in the case of the book, it is a treasure house of words. Alan claims you could refer to your backside as a treasure house, which leads to Stephen coining a new catchphrase: “My bottom is a treasure house!”

Brilliant, but way more information about the catchphrasy episode of QI than I intended to give. It still makes me laugh though.

Last night I stumbled upon a stand up show of Sean Lock. He was also saying a few things about catchphrases, but I can’t remember what. I should look that up.

The reason I decided to write this little piece has everything to do with how I express my level of care concerning pieces I read; it may be blogs, columns or separate messages. Usually I skim through the comments to conclude: “I can’t say I care” meaning every word of it. It usually also means the end of the reading or even thinking about it. Today I realized that’s actually my catchphrase.

I realized it after reading a few comments on Charlie Brooker’s latest column. I already had some trouble getting through his piece, but it was during reading the comments I lost interest completely.
I realized it today when I realized I was thinking the exact same words the day before when reading through some of the comments made on David’s soapbox. Neither did David’s rant really interest me, even though I was pretty much disagreeing with him; it just didn’t seem worth it to even say anything about it. I just didn’t care.

So there, I have a catchphrase; “I can’t say I care.”

(Side note: I really don’t, I just felt like writing a blog and this seemed a suitable subject.)

Sources:
QI’s Comedy Guide Page Series F, Episode 8 (Fashion)
Charlie Brooker’s Phone Hacking Column
David’s Soapbox about Kid’s tv

No comments: