Monday, April 4, 2011

And on....

By now you, reader, should have caught up on how I stumble upon new interests, usually in the entertainment business. I go from one person to another, most of the times linked in some way. The link only needs to exist; there’s no need for a close relationship between the two different persons for me to jump bandwagon. For instance, I got deeply interested in Alan Rickman, because John Sessions did a stellar AR-impression and AR was in ‘Truly, Madly , Deeply’. I came to watch that specific QI-episode because someone posted a link on the Dutch Jason Mraz forum. That’s how I jumped from Mraz to Rickman.

It happened again. My latest interest flow has been an incredible rollercoaster ride. I went very quickly from Alan Rickman to David Mitchell with a Steve Coogan impromptu to Charlie Brooker to Chris Morris with more Steve Coogan impromptu’s. It’s been a hot ride.

I was talking about how links were made. This particular jump from CB to CM has been an interesting and mind blowing one. Let’s just say that yesterday evening I spent a great deal of my evening (the whole evening) watching the first series of ‘the IT crowd’ in parts and bits and in every break from clip to clip I thought: “Fuck that’s hot,” referencing to the CB/CM link and had not that much to do with ‘the IT crowd’ even though I did develop a bit of a crush on Katherine Parkinson who plays Jen Barber the Relations Manager.

But that’s beside the point.

Just so you know how my mind has been boiling, I watched 5 episodes (1 I couldn’t find) in clips no longer than 2,5 minutes which results in every episode being watched in separate 10 mini clipped sessions. In between every clip I thought the above mentioned which resulted in me thinking “Fuck, that’s hot!” 50 times. Remember the link CB/CM. Yes, that.

I’m not even sure where in my brain things go wrong. Neither CB nor CM really attracts me physically. I can’t even point a finger on the reason why I think that or feel that way about, in this case, CM. Big difference, by the way, is that with CB I wasn’t even bothered about it. I always thought ‘that’s how it is, deal with it’. I can’t approach it like that with CM for some strange reason.

In some strange way it’s those long limbs. Or the slick back combed hair with stubborn curlies in his neck. Or the sneery, insisting bossy way of interviewing. Or the dominant bullying way of treating people. Or the absurd way of pushing people’s faces in stupidity. Or his arrogant I’m-above-you intellectual way of rubbing people the wrong way. Or the fact that all this is just an act in the name of comedy.

“Fuck, that’s hot!”

Now I come to think of it, the reason why I think the same about CB is shrouded in even thicker mists. CB has no long limbs. CB’s sneering tends to be more superficial. CB is actually quite a nice person. CB tends to be a bit lazy and single focused. CB’s sneering only carries that far. CB’s work is not as edgy as CM’s though he makes up in absurdness.

CB does have interesting hair with a life on its own though. Only his hair waves on top of his head prominently present instead of being slicked down in a vague attempt to rule it except for some mutiny in the neck. His hair is mutiny all over and he’s not even trying to rule it in.

That’s hot in a whole different way.

Maybe it has something to do with curlies. Jason Mraz had curlies. When his unruly hair grew a bit long it tended to curl up in his neck. Lovely. Steve Coogan has curly hair which supplied him with some pretty shoulder length curly wurly. It’s his face mainly though; those eyes and that utterly helpless look which makes his mouth drop open in a slight ‘oh’. Or that annoyed look with the pursed lips. And then we have a CM/SC link.

I love the scene from ‘the Day Today’ in which CM asks SC’s alter-ego Alan Partridge something to which AP guesses an answer. Don’t ever guess an answer around CM, cause he will call you out on it. AP gets seriously flustered and does that helpless look not knowing how to react or how to move away from that situation.

And there’s the scene in which CM, after announcing AP, throws a ball at AP and hits him in the neck causing AP to get annoyed (cue narrowing eyes and pursing lips) and straining to move on with his announcement. SC can pull brilliant faces. But what hit me as brilliant about it is that you know AP has the ability to go off in immature annoyance and behaviour, but he will think twice of doing that in front of CM.

Oh, hold on, I think I love Steve Coogan too. Hello impromptu!

Anyway, had to get that off my chest.

No comments: