Friday, December 3, 2010

Take That

Not so long ago I wrote a blog about the return of Robbie to the returned boyband Take That. I was complaining about how I couldn’t and didn’t want to go back. It turns out I was partly wrong. I still don’t want to return to 15-20 years ago, but I find myself feeling the same sentiments being on the edge of... whatever. Take That turns out to be a cornerstone in my life. Whenever I find myself on a crossing of life and I have to make new choices to move further to a new phase of my life, Take That simply appears. I’m being pulled toward it and into it. I have no choice but to follow. I am following again.

A few weeks ago Take That released a new album and single and with that the return of Robbie. About two weeks ago they announced a great tour through Britain and a few cities throughout Europe. My mom told me to get a ticket really.
Then the whole promotion for the single, the album and the tour started with them doing interviews throughout Britain and Europe. Suddenly they were everywhere again, like 15-20 years ago. Since I was curious I caught all the things they did in and for Dutch tv and then I was back in. Ever since I’ve been searching the Internet, googling and youtubing. Yesterday I even retrieved my scrapbooks from back then.

What really did it for me was the new documentary ‘Look Back, Don’t Stare’. It embarked on Robbie’s return and recording the new album, Progress, right up to the preparations of the announcement of the tour. I love that documentary, because for the first time the other side of the story was told. All that happened, but only a little bit made it out to the world. It turned out the 5 years in the 90’s were a bit of a commercial lie. I never knew how things really were. I never knew about the tensions within the band. I never heard about how they experienced their time in Take That. It was heart breaking. I never wanted them to hurt and hate each other, or being indifferent to the others feelings.

I love that documentary, because it’s such a sincere, brave and honest retelling. It was refreshing to see how frank and open they tried to be about then and now. It was all kind of emotions and feelings in one to see how much they struggled to make it work a second time, especially concerning Robbie. So much had happened. So much is still going on. They’re fighting really hard to make things right. It’s heart warming to see how much they enjoyed working on Progress, with each other, including Robbie.

I hope this is true. I hope things won’t fall apart like they did before. I have faith, yet I am scared. There’s no escaping for me. Let’s see what’s happening next.

Source: Wiwipedia: Robbie rejoined Take That

No comments: